American Municipal Power (AMP)
American Municipal Power (AMP) is a wholesale power supplier for 135 member communities across nine states in the Mideast region. After nearly 20 years in the position, AMP’s CEO planned to retire from the company, and AMP’s Board of Directors was considering internal and external candidates to fill the position. AMP partnered with Inspire to provide strategic communications counsel regarding the former CEO’s retirement and the organization’s succession plan. During the year-long process, Inspire worked closely with the Board and AMP’s legal team to develop all internal and external communications regarding the CEO transition in the form of memos, FAQs, press releases, talking points and media engagement.
All communications aimed to achieve the following objectives:
- Communicate effectively throughout AMP’s planned CEO transition to maintain high levels of trust with target audiences
- Assure all internal and external stakeholders have confidence in the integrity of the search process
- Demonstrate AMP’s commitment to a successful transition
- Reassure stakeholders that the transition will have minimal disruption and no negative operational or reputational impact
Once the new CEO was selected, Inspire managed all communications surrounding the internal and public announcement.
Following the CEO transition, AMP retained Inspire on a separate project to help amplify their services to current and potential members. This included the design of several collateral pieces highlighting AMP’s transmission business known as AMPT, their hydropower fleet and renewable services, as well as the general benefits of public power and its impact on communities.
- Increased trust and transparency among AMP staff and members through consistent communications regarding the CEO succession plan.
- Media profiles of the former CEO highlighting legacy and progress of the organization in Columbus CEO, Columbus Business First and The Columbus Dispatch.
- Nine media placements highlighting the new CEO in local and trade publications including, Columbus Business First, Hydro World, PV Magazine and others garnering more than 1 million impressions.
- Detailed and engaging brochure showcasing AMP’s Transmission business and capabilities to current and potential members.
- Customizable AMP branded brochure highlighting the benefits of public power for members to insert community specific information regarding their profile, power supply, etc.