Tips to Become a Better Communicator
Being an effective communicator can be a challenge for many, even the most seasoned professional. But with some practice, patience and time, it is a skill that you can always improve.
Below are 10 timeless tips from Success Magazine that can help you master the art of communicating. Give a few a try at your next office meeting or even family dinner. They can apply to almost any situation or with any audience, including your boss, co-workers, clients, stakeholders and even your family and friends.
- Give a valuable takeaway. Decide on one thing that will deliver value – an actionable item that people can walk away with.
- Be a good listener. This is key! Don’t dominate the conversation.
- Pick the opportune time to speak. Find a gap within the conversation to insert your point of view.
- Be the unifying voice. Unify everyone’s thoughts and then insert your own point.
- Keep your responses succinct. Keep it simple to show you respect others’ time.
- Don’t be the person who needs to comment on everything. The person who rarely talks usually catches others’ attention.
- Cut the fluff. Get straight to the point.
- Prepare ahead of time. Write down a few key points you want to make and practice ahead of time.
- Smile. Be positive! It shows you are actively listening and engaged in the conversation.
- Validate, then share. Repeat back what you heard and then add your own perspective.
What other tips would you add to this list?