By Diane Hurd
Digital advertising has transformed dramatically over the past decade. Not only in the way it looks, but by how campaigns can be customized to reach and engage customers. Digital ads are moving more into the reader’s natural activity stream using motion and sounds and are becoming more reflective of the page’s content. This allows marketers to be more focused and strategic than ever before.
There are many benefits to integrating digital advertising solutions into any marketing plan. Here are my top six:
1. Targeted content. Digital advertising offers targeting methods to help ensure that those who see your ads are the ones most likely to be interested in clicking for more information. Digital advertisers can reach a specific reader based on geography, areas of interest, context of the content, etc.
2. Flexibility. Digital advertising means that advertisers are no longer confined to a half-page print ad or a 30-second TV spot. Digital advertising has the ability to reach targeted audiences across multiple platforms with specific messages and dynamic creative (e.g. pre-roll video, mobile, etc.) – all which can help you achieve success. It also has evolved to allow brands to provide quality content that conveys your message through native advertising.
3. Mobile optimization. According to eMarketer, the percentage brands spend on mobile is forecasted to grow to 63 percent this year, or 70 percent (or $65 billion) by 2019. Why, such a large increase? It’s because Americans spend more time viewing the Internet on their mobile devices than on a desktop computer. And, nearly half of all typical smartphone users have taken action based on seeing relevant ads on their mobile phone. To encourage higher engagement, it is essential to make sure your website will adjust for easy reading and navigating when viewed on a mobile device.
4. Top-of-mind awareness. Your customers are making buying decisions every day. Whether they’re choosing a restaurant for an evening out, a destination for a weekend getaway, or products at the grocery store – these purchasing decisions are based on the brand/business that comes to mind. Remarketing and retargeting ads both provide opportunities for brands to remain top-of-mind for viewers who have already expressed interest in your product or message.
5. Affordability. Digital advertising is one of the most cost-effective advertising methods available for creating, delivering and executing campaigns. A small newspaper ad can cost several hundred dollars – or even thousands in a major media market - while digital advertising can be as low as $8 to $15 per thousand impressions or can be paid per click. Unlike traditional advertising, digital solutions also allow you to be nimble and adjust your budget and creative quickly as your inventory or needs change.
6. Measurement. Digital advertising allows you to track the effectiveness of ads through analytic tools in real-time – measurement built right in unlike other traditional mediums. You know exactly the number of impressions the ad receives, the number of times an individual has clicked on it, how it’s impacting traffic to your website, and how many people are engaging with your ad. This will help you determine which strategies are providing the best results, and which deserve more investment.
Digital advertising is proving its worth to brands every day by creating awareness and demand for a product while increasing engagement and conversions.